The whole world has seen the devastating images of the tragic fire which engulfed the Grenfell Tower in North Kensington, near St. Sava Church. Great tragedy sparked disbelief and sadness, but also united the people, especially in Kensington, who have joined forces to help the victims of the fire. Our church has from day one offered all possible help to the emergency services in dealing with the tragedy, including Great Hall space and the cooking and preparing of meals for the survivors at our premises.
Food, hygiene and clothes have been pouring in, some collection centers have stopped collecting them, but in the days to come, any help will be welcome. For updates as how to help please visit https://grenfellsupport.wordpress.com/
We invite all our parishioners to come to church on Sunday and donate selflessly. Cash contributions are now most needed. Let us share our Christian love and compassion towards those who now suffer, by giving.
On Pentecost Monday, the Pan-orthodox Liturgy was celebrated at St Sava’s Church in London. The Eucharistic assembly was led by his Eminence Archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira and Great Britain of the Patriarchate of Constantinople and concelebrating with him were:
1. Archbishop Elisey of Sourozh, Russian Orthodox Church
2. Bishop Dositey of Great Britain and Scandinavia, Serbian Orthodox Church
3. Archbishop of Dmanisi, Agarak-Tashiri, and Great Britain and Ireland: Zenon (Iaradzhuli)
4. Auxiliary Bishop Ignatius (Muresan), Romanian Church
5. The Right Reverend Athanasios (Theocharous), Bishop of Tropaeou
"Rastko" ensemble and the school of folk dance are organising the Vidovdan performance on 1st July 2017 at 7.30pm in the Bishop Nikolaj Hall. This year's guests are a Bulgarian ensemble from London. Tickets are £10 for adults and £14 for children below 14 years. For more information you can contact Nada Grkinic on 0798 424 7963.
Hospices of Hope are organising a Gala Dinner at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel, Kensington on Thursday 18th May 2017. The dinner is their major fundraising event to raise money for two separate projects:
- Campaign for Copaceni - a unique children’s centre in the countryside near Bucharest
- A new Hospice for Serbia- to open the first ever purpose-built, in-patient hospice in Belgrade
Details of both these campaigns are on their website http://www.hospicesofhope.co.uk/appeals-and-projects/.
To book or for more information please visit http://www.hospicesofhope.co.uk/gala-dinner/. There a number of sponsorship packages available.